Thursday, April 23, 2009

Shirley goes back to school

A one hour class on butterfly friendly plants ... what could be the harm? I'm not sure where my mind was when she mentioned it but I clearly wasn't thinking straight. As soon as she said it was at the Arboretum my mind should have gone: Arboretum ... spring ... flowers in full bloom ... Walden will not match up ... develop emergency plan NOW! But instead I said something clever like "fine."

Next thing I know I'm taking a day off work and hauling railroad ties, rocks, etc. around the property so we can build a 30' x 10' butterfly garden. Then she wants dirt. I thought we had 126 acres of dirt. It not like it isn't proven dirt with something already growing in it but I hear it isn't "processed" properly. 50 bags of topsoil, 10 bags of landscapers soil (same as top soil for 3 times the price) and 4 bags of compost later we have an empty planting bed and a tired husband.

... and the planting begins. ... and Shirley wonders why I don't take more days off. These are the days I really miss having Michael around Walden. Not that he would do any planting but that Shirley does not like to displease him. When she wanted a "gazebo world" around the lake he firmly opposed it in favor of the natural habitat. I still owe him for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment