Thursday, April 16, 2009

Eat Rice

Jim Collins of "Good to Great" fame is researching talent which he believes comes mostly from effort … generally around 10 years of well focused, hard work. Asians being smarter than white people is a result of 1,500 years of growing rice. Rice is a crop that takes more work and better focus than growing corn or wheat. David Landes points out in "The Wealth and Poverty of Nations" that no great, innovative city or country is located inside the tropics (pre air conditioning). He attributes heat, requiring most people to take the middle of the day off. Those fortunate enough to live on a pacific isle could generally pick and catch their food needs for the day within a couple of hours … and take the rest of the day off. Cold climates require a lot more work and thus most great innovation and cities come from these regions. Rice farming is apparently the pinnacle in developing the talent to build great societies.

But before we go off and start growing rice … I’m thinking eating rice might be just as good. I think I’m pretty smart (Michael, I don’t need you to bring me back to reality). My friend Albert Ku once told me that I eat more rice than any white man he has ever known. I think it works. Unfortunately, I heard about 8 months ago that the healthiest thing a non-smoking person can do is lose weight. I’ve managed to lose 15 pounds but in doing so, I gave up rice. I guess I won't get any smarter … (and Michael, once again I don’t need your help on this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment