Friday, January 15, 2010

Life is great ... but it can always be better

Eric came over at lunchtime yesterday to help me install DSL. He brought bathrobe clad Audrey with him. We all went into the study where Audrey sat in the soft, overstuffed chair, a pillow on one side and the big armrest on the other. She said she was hungry so I made her a melted cheese tortilla and brought her a Capri Sun. I looked at how comfortable she looked and it reminded me of my good friend Albert Ku.

Albert has a way of enjoying life. Back one day when Albert was single, he walked outside in his robe to get the mail, smoking a cigarette, drinking a beer and he pulled out of the mailbox a new issue of Playboy. He said, “Scott, life just doesn’t get any better than this.” On another occasion we were playing golf. Albert loves golf, I hate it … but he has managed to get me to play a few times. At about the third tee I hit a drive that reminded me why I hate the sport. I said a few cuss words and Albert looked at me and said “It is a beautiful day, we are on a golf course in Hawaii and it’s TUESDAY!”

I looked back at Audrey and said “Sweetheart, isn’t life good when at noon you are in your jammies and robe, sitting in a great chair, eating good food and drinking a Capri Sun?” She looked at me and said, “It would be better if I was watching a cartoon.” I shut up and turned on the Cartoon Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment