Thursday, August 20, 2009

Feelin' sorry

Our clearest memories are usually visual. Often wars are represented by a couple photographs. Vietnam was the Kent State shooting or the naked little girl hit with napalm. Iraq is abu ghraib or on the positive side the purple thumbs indicating they voted for the first time in an election that really counted.

Sometimes a photo will affect you more than others. The war photo etched in my mind was that of a dead Iraqi man with his Jack Russell Terrier nestled in next to him ... the same way Bailey sleeps most nights with me. I felt really bad for the dog. Now the tables are turned. The little dog that has been my almost constant companion for nearly 14 years needs to be put down for a variety of health issues. Tomorrow I take her to the vet and say goodbye. Now I feel sorry for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment